The Cathedral Square branches into one of the most beautiful and central streets of the city – Pilies Street. It is one of the oldest streets in the city, rich with interesting ancient buildings. Today, house number twenty-six in Pilies Street is the House of Signatories. It is a historical and architectural monument, where on February 16th, 1918, the Act of Independence of Lithuania was signed. The present Pilies Street is divided into two sections: from the Saint Pararascevia Orthodox Church the street is called Didžioji Street. In earlier times, Pilies Street was a single street linking the Cathedral and the Town Hall.
The Magdeburg Rights were granted to Vilnius by Jagiello (Lithuanian: Jogaila), Grand Duke of Lithuania and king of Poland, in 1387. The initial, gothic-style Town Hall in Vilnius was mentioned for the first time in 1432. It was standing on the same spot where its successor is now. The Town Hall Square contained market places, measures, treasure house, chancellery, archives, underground prison. It was the place, where the city authorities and merchants would gather. The Town Hall acquired its present appearance in the end of 18th century after the reconstruction designed by Laurynas Stuoka-Gucevičius, designer of the reconstructed Vilnius Cathedral. That’s why these two Classical-style buildings are well distinguished in the surrounding of various styles. When
the right of self-rule was cancelled, the Small Theatre (Lithuanian: Mažasis teatras) was opened in the Town Hall in 1811 and a standing theatre was functioning from 1845 to 1922.